Like people, pets sometimes need a little help getting back on their feet following an injury or surgery. We can design a customized rehabilitation program to help speed recovery time, manage pain, minimize complications, improve mobility and functionality, and improve quality of life.
Our surgeons and technicians will evaluate your pet’s condition, monitor his or her progress, then modify the program as needed to help your pet recover as completely as possible. Veterinary Referral Hospital of Hickory has Certified Canine Rehabilitation Practitioners on staff.
Rehabilitation Services Include These Therapies:
- Pre and Post rehabilitation for orthopedic surgery and neurologic patients
- Functional re-training to help restore mobility after an orthopedic or neurologic injury or surgery
- Therapy for chronic pain
- Therapeutic exercise for strengthening, range of motion, flexibility, and function
- Cardiac conditioning
- Cold therapy
- Heat therapy
- Hydrotherapy (Underwater treadmill)
- Massage therapy
- Neuromuscular electrical stimulation
- Thera balls and Peanuts
- Fitting for canine carts
- Weight management
- At home exercise instruction
What are the benefits of rehabilitation for my pet?
- Shorter recovery time after injury or orthopedic procedures
- Management of acute/ chronic pain for improved quality of life
- Help to minimize complications
- Prevent or reduce muscle atrophy
- Improve mobility, function, and endurance
- Promote positive psychological effects for your pet
How the rehabilitation process works
Here at our facility, we provide outpatient and inpatient rehabilitation programs with your assistance and support. Your pet’s regular veterinarian will need to make a referral to our facility for your pet’s specific needs. Referral information may be called in or faxed to our facility using our rehabilitation referral form.
Once we receive your pet’s history and medical record, we will be happy to schedule an initial evaluation for you and your pet. If your pet is scheduled for surgery and you are considering post-operative rehabilitation care, please call and make arrangements to meet with one of our rehabilitation technicians prior to surgery if possible.
Rehabilitation can help with the following problems:
- Orthopedic injuries
- Neurologic injuries
- Degenerative joint disease
- Fibrocartilagenous embolism (FCE)
- Hip dysplasia
- Intervertebral disc disease (IVDD)
- Muscle weakness, tears, strains, or sprains
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Limited range of motion
- Cardiac conditioning
What to expect when bringing your pet here for rehabilitation:
- An initial evaluation with one of our surgeons and/or rehabilitation technicians will be scheduled as soon as possible.
- A customized rehabilitation program will be designed for your pet’s needs and your goals.
- The rehabilitation team will provide care and monitor your pet’s progress throughout his/her rehabilitation program.
- Your pet’s program will be modified as he/she progresses, and changes will be made as needed.
- This will help to ensure that your pet gets the best possible care and eventually reaches his/her rehabilitation needs and goals.
- All owners will be updated on their pet’s progress on a regular basis.
- Also, we will keep your veterinarian up to date on your pet’s progress.